October 2009


Roundcube releases 0.3 stable

Sorry, but I somehow missed this one completely and no one of you told me as well. But it is forgivable as version 0.2 is working like a charm. I’ve installed it on my production server as soon as I noticed the upgrade expecting a lot of changes, but most of the GUI is still the same there are only changes to the settings page. Most of the changes are under the hood improving speed and responsiveness and also fixing some of the issues that were still outstanding.

My advice, upgrade as soon as possible. Download the latest version from here.

To upgrade roundcube, if you’ve used the DIYMacServer provided installation instructions, and if you are upgrading from 0.2 stable are:

Extract the 0.3 archive into '/Library/WebServer/Documents'. Create new copies of the configuration files and edit them to reflect the same settings as in the 0.2 installation.

CD into the new extracted directory and make the temp and log folder writeable for Apache with the following commands:

chown -R _www:_www temp
chown -R _www:_www logs

Remove the original ’roundcubemail’ symbolic link in '/Library/WebServer/Documents' and create a new one:

sudo ln -s /Library/WebServer/Documents/roundcubemail.0.3 /Library/WebServer/Documents/roundcubemail

That’s it.

Dovecot updated to 1.2.6

A new version of Dovecot has been released a few days ago but I’ve only been able to test it in the last few days. Sorry, my day job is getting a bit hecktic at the moment and is eating in my personal time.

There is mention of moving o a 2.0 version in a few weeks. I hope to have that ready and tested as soon as possible.

Here is a list of the changes:

  • Upgraded to Unicode 5.2.0
  • Added authtest utility for doing passdb and userdb lookups.
  • login: ssl_security string now also shows the used compression.
  • quota: Don’t crash with non-Maildir++ quota backend.
  • imap proxy: Fixed crashing with some specific password characters.
  • dovecot –exec-mail was broken.
  • Avoid assert-crashing when two processes try to create index at the same time.

Update: There is a small issue when compiling this version on Leopard. It’s has to do with the fact that Leopard is using an older version (0.7.8) of OpenSSL than Snow Leopard (using 0.9.8).

The error will show itself during the make fase of the build. You would see errors like:

Undefined symbols:
“_SSL_get_current_compression”, referenced from:
_ssl_proxy_get_security_string in liblogin-common.a(ssl-proxy-openssl.o)
“_SSL_COMP_get_name”, referenced from:
_ssl_proxy_get_security_string in liblogin-common.a(ssl-proxy-openssl.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found

You can solve it by downloading and applying this fix, execute the following commands from the 1.2.6 source directory:

curl "http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/raw-file/4add5c3f13ea/configure.in" \
-o ./configure.in
 
curl "http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/raw-file/4add5c3f13ea/src/login-common/ssl-proxy-openssl.c" \
-o ./src/login-common/ssl-proxy-openssl.c

Then run the normal ./configure and make statements from the regular install instructions.