December 2010


Upgrading Clamav to 0.96.5

The hardworking folks over at clamav.net have released a minor upgrade to their virus scanning software. Upgrading is relatively easy and straight forward. All that needs to be done is remove the old version and install the new.

You can check the instructions on what to do here Upgrading ClamAV.

There is no need to reconfigure anything as this is only a bugfix release for ClamAV.

Backup and recover strategies

I got an email from one of the users of DIYMacServer who encountered a hard drive failure on his web and mail server. He asked me about the best path to resolve this and have the least impact on his current users. This got me thinking, since I moved to macminicolo.net I’ve been so lucky I never had any serious problem and got lazy, so I need to look again at my own situation.

Currently I’ve got rsync scripts which copy my mail, web, database and /etc to an external disk. Thinking that I can rebuild a new mini in a few hours, I got a spare at home (which still would need a rebuild) and can change DNS entries quit quickly to make the change transparent for users. But this requires for my server to be online. I’ve used Amazon S3 earlier for backup earlier with a specific rsync script that copied everything over to Amazon. But somehow never got to that….

What is your solution for handling outages?

PHP released 5.3.4

The PHP development team finally released a new version of the 5.3.x release. I guess the issue we had in compiling 5.3.3 was not important enough to warrant an earlier release. I haven’t found any problem yet with this version but I must admit that I haven’t tried out all the possible variations yet, but will continue to try them all out.

The error we encounter is listed as solved anyway in the ChangeLog (52417 and 52413).

For instructions on how to upgrade PHP please read: Upgrading PHP.

Dovecot updated to 2.0.8

A new version of Dovecot has been released, I’ve installed it on my test servers without a problem. Check the improvements and decide if you want to upgrade:

  • Services’ default vsz_limits weren’t being enforced correctly in earlier v2.0 releases. Now that they are enforced, you might notice that the default limits are too low and you need to increase them. This problem will show up in logs as “out of memory” errors. See default_vsz_limit and service { vsz_limit } settings.
  • LMTP: In earlier versions if mail was delivered to user+detail@domain address, LMTP server always attempted to deliver the mail to mailbox named “detail”. This was rather unintentional and shouldn’t have been the default. lmtp_save_to_detail_mailbox=yes setting now preserves this behavior (default is no).
  • Added systemd support (configure –with-systemdsystemunitdir). Based on patch by Christophe Fergeau.
  • Replaced broken mbox-snarf plugin with a new more generic snarf plugin.
  • dbox: Fixes to handling external mail attachments
  • verbose_proctitle=yes didn’t work for all processes in v2.0.7
  • imap, pop3: When service { client_count } was larger than 1, the log messages didn’t use the correct prefix. Last logged in user’s prefix was always used, regardless of what user’s session actually logged it. Now the proper log prefix is always used.
  • MySQL: Only the first specified host was ever used