Transferring from another IMAP server

started at 12 Apr 2007 by j416
  • j416
    12 Apr 2007

Hello Richard

I've been reading your tutorial, and I'm planning on getting a mac mini in the near future to replace my current server (which is dying). I have a an IMAP server set up on it, and I my question is: How would I go about transferring all my email from my current server to the new server? (preferably through IMAP since I'm running something called SurgeMail on WinXP which doesn't seem very transfer-friendly by other means)

Also, I managed to set up my current server to download mail from my gmail account through POP3 on regular intervals. Would this be possible to achieve as well?

Thank you for (what looks like) a superb tutorial.

kind regards
    Johan

• j416
    12 Apr 2007

I found I will probably be able to just lift my email from one server to the other from inside my mail client, should work I guess (it's just one account anyway). However the POP3 downloading is still a problem I need to solve. Any ideas?

thank you

cheers
    Johan

• Richard
    13 Apr 2007

Thanks for the compliments.

Yes using your mail client to move emails is the simplest but involves a lot of work. If you can tell me which format of the files on the server (mdir or mbox) surgemail uses I can point you to some tools that will convert for you.

Haven't tried the Gmail stuff myself from the server but I think you should be able to pull of the same trick as before.

• j416
    13 Apr 2007

Thank you for your quick response.

As for the mail file format, I really do not know which format it is using. I am at present quite unfamiliar with the differences between these two. I will try to move my mail using my mail client, if that doesn't work for one reason or another I will try another approach - I will post my results here.

• Richard
    14 Apr 2007

Thanks, let us know how it works out or when you envounter other issues !

• j416
    29 Apr 2007

Update: IMAP mail transfer from my old server to the new server via my mail client works like a charm. :)

You must log in to post.