Several people have notified me of the problem they discovered when checking the version that is installed after they manually compiled MySQL from source after the binary install. The mysqld located in ‘/usr/local/mysql/bin‘ directory keeps reflecting the original installed version and not the latest source compiled version.

It took me a while to find out what was wrong here but I solved it. It is my mistake as I did not discover this earlier. The mysqld program when compiling from source is located in ‘/usr/local/mysql/libexec‘ and is properly referenced is you use the ‘mysqld_safe‘ program to start it up. The mysqld binary in ‘/usr/local/mysql/bin‘ is a left-over of the binary install procedure and is no longer used or referenced. This also means that my startup script was incorrect.

As a consequence I’ve changed the startup plist file. Please do the same by first changing the plist file and then do:

sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.diymacserver.mysql.plist
sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.diymacserver.mysql.plist

Then the newer version should be running. You can check this by using the command:

mysqladmin version

Thanks to the vigilant users and my apologies to the others.