March 2010

MySQL released 5.1.45

For everyone who has upgraded to a 5.1.x version. This is mostly a bug fix release and it is up to you if you want to upgrade. There are no apparent security issues solved in this release. Check all the fixes and changes that are listed on the release notes to see what issues are resolved and if you are affected.

I’ve compiled this version and did some simple tests on my test servers and it worked without any problems.

Please note that I’ve made some changes to the startup scripts to make sue that you are indeed running the updated version as indicated in my earlier post.

Read the documentation on how to ugrade MySQL.

Apache updated to 2.2.15

The apache team have released an update to the popular webserver. This updates concerns several security fixes and I would advise you to upgrade your server accordingly. I’ve tested and updated all my server without any problem. Read all about the changes and bugs fixed in the 2.2.15 changelog.

If you’ve forgotten how to upgrade your Apache installation in the least painfull way with a possibility to go back if something goes wrong: Upgrading Apache

Dovecot updated to 1.2.11

Timo released another bugfix to Dovecot, mbox users really should upgrade, because by sending a message with a huge header you could basically cause a DoS (this problem exists only with v1.2.x, not with v1.0 or v1.1). Our default setting is maildirs instead of mbox, so you should be safe.

  • mbox: Message header reading was unnecessarily slow. Fetching a huge header could have resulted in Dovecot eating a lot of CPU. Also searching messages was much slower than necessary.
  • mbox, dbox, cydir: Mail root directory was created with 0770 permissions, instead of 0700.
  • maildir: Reading uidlist could have ended up in an infinite loop.
  • IMAP IDLE: v1.2.7+ caused extra load by checking changes every 0.5 seconds after a change had occurred in mailbox

Possible version problem with mysqld

Several people have notified me of the problem they discovered when checking the version that is installed after they manually compiled MySQL from source after the binary install. The mysqld located in ‘/usr/local/mysql/bin‘ directory keeps reflecting the original installed version and not the latest source compiled version.

It took me a while to find out what was wrong here but I solved it. It is my mistake as I did not discover this earlier. The mysqld program when compiling from source is located in ‘/usr/local/mysql/libexec‘ and is properly referenced is you use the ‘mysqld_safe‘ program to start it up. The mysqld binary in ‘/usr/local/mysql/bin‘ is a left-over of the binary install procedure and is no longer used or referenced. This also means that my startup script was incorrect.

As a consequence I’ve changed the startup plist file. Please do the same by first changing the plist file and then do:

sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.diymacserver.mysql.plist
sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.diymacserver.mysql.plist

Then the newer version should be running. You can check this by using the command:

mysqladmin version

Thanks to the vigilant users and my apologies to the others.