September 2010

Clamav 0.96.3 upgrade

The hardworking folks over at have released a minor upgrade to their virus scanning software. Upgrading is relatively easy and straight forward. All that needs to be done is remove the old version and install the new.

You can check the instructions on what to do here Upgrading ClamAV.

There is no need to reconfigure anything as this is only a bugfix release for ClamAV.

Security Update 2010-006

I’ve updated my main test server that runs Snow Leopard and I haven’t noticed any strange behavior or errors, when looking at the usual suspects (like postfix and it’s configuration).

If you want to read more on what is affected in the updates I would suggest reading the Apple support site for the (security) update. It’s mainly fixing a problem with AFP which is not something we use.

I will update more machines later on, I only had time for one now, but I didn’t want to keep you all waiting too long.

New additions: ClamAV and SpamAssassin

One of the features I got may requests for was the inclusion of SpamAssassin and ClamAV for spam filtering and virus detection. Because in the beginning I had chosen for DSpam (which I still think is a valid choice), then I didn’t see the need for adding another one which would only lessen my ability to do a good job by just adding more features with no regard for quality. (Same goes for PostgreSQL vs MySQL).

However the addition of Drew to the team creates new possibilities. He had SpamAssassin and ClamAV already working on his server. Naturally his first assignment was to write everything down what he had done to make it work on his box so you could enjoy it as well.

After careful testing and re-reading it several times I’m proud to finally announce this new addition to the DIYMacServer documentation set:

Dovecot updated to 2.0.2

Since we now support the Dovecot 2.x branch we need to get those updates tested as well. This week a new update has been released. I have to admit that my own production server is still running 1.2.x but that has more to do with lack of time than perceived instability. I’ve got this version running on 2 of my test machines and it works great.

There are some small fixes and logging improvements, but most importantly fixes LMTP with Maildir.

  • vpopmail support is disabled for now, since it’s broken. You can use it via checkpassword support or its sql/ldap database directly.
  • maildir: Fixed “duplicate uidlist entry” errors that happened at least with LMTP when mail was delivered to multiple recipients
  • Deleting ACLs didn’t cause entries to be removed from acl_shared_dict
  • mail_max_lock_timeout setting wasn’t working with all locks
  • auth_cache_size setting’s old-style value wasn’t autoconverted
    and it usually also caused a crash