MySQL-5.5.8 Install Confusion

No tags yet.

started at 19 Jan 2011 by zelda
  • zelda
    19 Jan 2011

I am having trouble getting the newest version of MySql-5.5.8 to startup on my Snow Leopard, 64-bit Intel arch., iMac and am wondering if i screwed-up the installation process or did not follow direction right:
    I downloaded the MacOSX dmg package mysql-5.5.8-osx10.6-x86_64.dmg
    and ran the installer, but did not install the Preference Pane as instructed in documentation.

However, here's where i get confused you recently stated that,

you no longer need to compile MySQL. Which is excellent news as it simplifies the setup and a lot of the problems I see here from users.

So installed MySQL but do i now skip your "Compiling MySQL 5.1.x in 64 bits mode on Snow Leopard" instructions in the documentation?

I created the .bash_profile file and placed it in my home directory to be able to use MySQL commands from the Terminal but now something called .bash_profile.swp as showed up there too and seems to be messing something up as i cannot access MySQL from the Terminal saying it

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
    Looking inside this .swp file reveals:

b0VIM 7.2

• zelda
    19 Jan 2011

Sorry it did not like the weird characters inside the .bash_profile.swp file so i zapped the gremlins and will try again:

b0VIM 7.2Smy-iMac.local~my/.bash_profile
    U3210#"! Utpad"export PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin"

• Richard
    20 Jan 2011

Zelda, please use an editor like vi to change it. The .swp file and the strange characters are usually left there by your editor.

Please read http://diymacserver.com/2011/01/08/first-attempt-at-using-mysql-5-5-x/ as well indicating all the effects of using 5.5.x has on the rest of the installation instructions.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.