Upgrading Postfix on MOSXS

started at 06 May 2011 by Fred Turner
  • Fred Turner
    06 May 2011

Hi Richard (& others)--

I know this is outside the normal realm and scope of this site, but I'm not sure where else to turn. I'd like to upgrade Postfix on a PPC Mac OS X Server 10.5 and a Mac Pro MOSXS 10.6. They come w/ v2.4.3 and v2.5.5, respectively, and I need at least v2.6 to implement the tcp_windowsize parameter in the hopes of getting around a sending problem w/ larger messages.

Currently, I'm tackling the G4 Leopard Server first, since it is a backup and fouling it up isn't the end of the world. I can get Postfix 2.8.2 to compile and run, and even receive mail2, but I must be messing up something with my make statement, as I am unable to use SASL authentication for sending (and I could before). The log shows:

May  5 20:10:01 G4-Server postfix/smtpd[28752]: connect from unknown[192.168.1.101]
    May  5 20:10:01 G4-Server postfix/smtpd[28752]: warning: SASL authentication failure: Password verification failed
    May  5 20:10:01 G4-Server postfix/smtpd[28752]: warning: unknown[192.168.1.101]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed: authentication failure
    May  5 20:10:01 G4-Server postfix/smtpd[28752]: lost connection after AUTH from unknown[192.168.1.101]
    May  5 20:10:01 G4-Server postfix/smtpd[28752]: disconnect from unknown[192.168.1.101]

I've tried to use a portion of the make statement from the directions here, w/ some tweaking from the docs at postfix.org. Since this is a MOSXS, I have not configured MySQL, so I've left that part out. Here is what I entered last:

sudo make -f Makefile.init makefiles CCARGS="-DUSE_TLS -DUSE_SASL_AUTH -DUSE_CYRUS_SASL -I/usr/include/sasl \
    " AUXLIBS="-lssl -lcrypto -L/usr/local/lib -lsasl2"

Any thoughts or insights into why this error might be occurring? I've been unable to find any links to instructions or tips for upgrading the MOSXS installation of Postfix.

Thanks,
    Fred

• Richard
    08 May 2011

Fred, sorry for the later then planned reply (had a few days off!) but the problem is that the server version uses a completely different authentication method then I do in my setup. I think it uses the PAM method. I have no experience with that or how compiling will affect the setup.

You could have a look at the method macports uses for compiling postfix: https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/mail2/postfix/Portfile

• Fred Turner
    09 May 2011

Hey Richard, thanks for the reply! No need for an apology...I'm grateful for your assistance, whenever it comes. I guess I just really don't have any expertise on what all goes into generating these make statements. I can follow what some of the components mean, but I don't really have any idea of the exact syntax and ordering, or how I'd create one on my own and have everything included that's needed. I'm looking at:

http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html

where it discusses PAM (which it says uses saslauthd) to try to understand more, but I'm still a little lost.

- How can I tell for sure whether PAM is indeed what's being used for MOSXS?
    - If it is, then what should I add to the make statement? Something referencing saslauthd?
    - I've been Googling a lot, but it sure seems difficult to find out the specifics of Postfix on MOSXS. I find it difficult to believe that hardly anybody has tried upgrading the MOSXS-included Postfix...where should I look?

Sorry that I'm rather clueless when it comes to compiling, and thus far rely on what you and others specify in tutorials, hints, etc. Thanks again for your reply!

Fred

• Richard
    10 May 2011

Fred, don't worry about being clueless that's exactly how I started several years ago. A lot of information can be found in the configuration file of the current setup. There it is defined which SASL or other authentication is used at the moment. Unfortunately I don't have a server license otherwise I would have a look at it myself. If you want I can have a look at it, please mail2 me at info @ this domain.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.