Upgrading Postfix on MOSXS

started at 06 May 2011 by Fred Turner
  • Fred Turner
    06 May 2011

Hi Richard (& others)--

I know this is outside the normal realm and scope of this site, but I'm not sure where else to turn. I'd like to upgrade Postfix on a PPC Mac OS X Server 10.5 and a Mac Pro MOSXS 10.6. They come w/ v2.4.3 and v2.5.5, respectively, and I need at least v2.6 to implement the tcp_windowsize parameter in the hopes of getting around a sending problem w/ larger messages.

Currently, I'm tackling the G4 Leopard Server first, since it is a backup and fouling it up isn't the end of the world. I can get Postfix 2.8.2 to compile and run, and even receive mail2, but I must be messing up something with my make statement, as I am unable to use SASL authentication for sending (and I could before). The log shows:

May  5 20:10:01 G4-Server postfix/smtpd[28752]: connect from unknown[]
    May  5 20:10:01 G4-Server postfix/smtpd[28752]: warning: SASL authentication failure: Password verification failed
    May  5 20:10:01 G4-Server postfix/smtpd[28752]: warning: unknown[]: SASL PLAIN authentication failed: authentication failure
    May  5 20:10:01 G4-Server postfix/smtpd[28752]: lost connection after AUTH from unknown[]
    May  5 20:10:01 G4-Server postfix/smtpd[28752]: disconnect from unknown[]

I've tried to use a portion of the make statement from the directions here, w/ some tweaking from the docs at postfix.org. Since this is a MOSXS, I have not configured MySQL, so I've left that part out. Here is what I entered last:

sudo make -f Makefile.init makefiles CCARGS="-DUSE_TLS -DUSE_SASL_AUTH -DUSE_CYRUS_SASL -I/usr/include/sasl \
    " AUXLIBS="-lssl -lcrypto -L/usr/local/lib -lsasl2"

Any thoughts or insights into why this error might be occurring? I've been unable to find any links to instructions or tips for upgrading the MOSXS installation of Postfix.

• Richard
    08 May 2011

Fred, sorry for the later then planned reply (had a few days off!) but the problem is that the server version uses a completely different authentication method then I do in my setup. I think it uses the PAM method. I have no experience with that or how compiling will affect the setup.

You could have a look at the method macports uses for compiling postfix: https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/mail2/postfix/Portfile

• Fred Turner
    09 May 2011

Hey Richard, thanks for the reply! No need for an apology...I'm grateful for your assistance, whenever it comes. I guess I just really don't have any expertise on what all goes into generating these make statements. I can follow what some of the components mean, but I don't really have any idea of the exact syntax and ordering, or how I'd create one on my own and have everything included that's needed. I'm looking at:

where it discusses PAM (which it says uses saslauthd) to try to understand more, but I'm still a little lost.

- How can I tell for sure whether PAM is indeed what's being used for MOSXS?
    - If it is, then what should I add to the make statement? Something referencing saslauthd?
    - I've been Googling a lot, but it sure seems difficult to find out the specifics of Postfix on MOSXS. I find it difficult to believe that hardly anybody has tried upgrading the MOSXS-included Postfix...where should I look?

Sorry that I'm rather clueless when it comes to compiling, and thus far rely on what you and others specify in tutorials, hints, etc. Thanks again for your reply!

• Richard
    10 May 2011

Fred, don't worry about being clueless that's exactly how I started several years ago. A lot of information can be found in the configuration file of the current setup. There it is defined which SASL or other authentication is used at the moment. Unfortunately I don't have a server license otherwise I would have a look at it myself. If you want I can have a look at it, please mail2 me at info @ this domain.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.